Sunday, January 15, 2012

Revisiting Old Friends

I had a love affair with my sewing machine for many years and was, for awhile, a prolific quilter. Then I was bit by the jewelry making bug and my sewing machine was cast aside. Recently, I have heard it calling to me.

 


Digging through my fabric scraps I ran across a large piece of fabric that I had embellished with luscious yarns and other fibers.




The process of this type of embellishment is quite easy. 






  • Create a quilt sandwich- layer backing fabric, batting and your front fabric and pin together.  
  • Lay an interesting piece of yarn or fiber and zig-zag stitch over it. This process is called couching.  I chose to use a decorative metalic thread.  
  • Repeat, repeat, repeat.
  • Enjoy your embellished fabric and make something cool with it.









Originally, I had made a few sets of coaster and decided to make another set and a couple of coffee cup cozies.







In-between the couched fibers I choose to add some free-style quilting to add more detail.



I love the organic look of these edges- created with a zig-zag stitch around the edge of the fabric.
Pin It


 

Pin It

I would love to give away a set of coasters.  Leave a comment and you will earn a chance to win.











Pin It

The winner will be randomly choose in about a week!

3 comments:

  1. I love your lesson on "couching"......I think my machine is whispering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like these coasters. They feel like the ocean. They would make fantastic cuff bracelets too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies. Anne, you are the winner!

    ReplyDelete