Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What's Cooking? Shrimp!


The first time I cooked this recipe, I was looking for something for a New  Year's Eve progressive dinner.  

 
Pin It

We were celebrating with two other families and we were hosting the entrée course. I knew we would be out of the house right up until the time for the entrée course (enjoying the appetizer course at another house). So, I needed something that I could make ahead of time and cook quickly when all of the families arrived at our house. This recipe fit the bill. What I didn't know was that it would be well loved by everyone in my family and become a regular in our house!


The first step of this recipe is to cure the raw shrimp in a sugar and salt mixture. 

I usually do this for no more than 30 to 45 minutes.  Before you proceed, the shrimp should be rinsed very well. The shrimp will retain some of its salty-sweet taste.

The next step involves blending a simple and quick marinade.   Fresh parsley is great, but dried works well too.  I have also substituted rosemary.  (If you have a rosemary plant with woody stems, you can make your own skewers for even more flavor!)

I like to let my shrimp marinate for awhile, another 30 minutes or so. Then, I thread the raw shrimp on to the skewers.  You can store the uncooked shrimp skewers in the refrigerator to cook later in the day. 

The last step - grilling!  These only take 3-4 minutes per side and they are ready to serve.   

You can find the recipe here: Lemon- Garlic Shrimp Skewers
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment