Sunday, March 11, 2012

Visitors

We get a wonderful variety of creatures in our backyard.  And they drive our dog crazy.  

 

Weimaraners are bred to be hunters.  Some have stronger prey drives than others.  Our dog seems to be on the stronger end of that spectrum.  This is why we will not have a cat anytime soon and that makes me very sad.   When I see our dog bolt out the door I know he's after something and try to intervene.


The other day it happened to be a gopher tortoise.  They love going through our back yard. Murphy is highly curious and has to check them out.  Things can quickly take a turn for the worse.



So, we shoo the dog away and make sure our creatures stay safe. (The turtle was unhurt and Murphy has no idea how perilously close he was to losing a piece of his cheek.)


This tortoise seemed as interested in us as we were in him.

 

When we were through getting a few pictures and heading back to the house the tortoise decided to follow my kids.


 They thought this was pretty funny.  After awhile he decided to head back into the woods and we said our goodbyes. 


Until next time, Mr. Gopher Tortoise!

2 comments:

  1. You dog is adorable...so cute!! Thank you for stopping by the tile label post. I wanted to let you know your blog comments are "no reply" (no email address). If you ever want to change that, there is a tutorial on my right side bar of my blog.
    Take care,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so precious. I love how you protected the turtle, but still got that amazing shot -- and I'm thinking he wants you to adopt him now and that's why he started following the kids home.

    ReplyDelete